Thursday, February 25, 2010

Amazing Rest

I always seem to fear rest. Taking a break from working out, up to a week off, is always a scary experience for me and is likely the main reason I don't take more planned breaks. I am ultimately afraid of loosing all of the gains that I have worked so hard to attain. But in reality, prior to my break, my performance has dropped off. I am mentally tired. I dread heading to the basement. The breaks not only allow tired muscles to recover, but also tired minds. My vacation was great, but I really was in need of a break from the bells too. Especially as I approach 40, I have learned to embrace the break. Despite my fears, once again, I seemed to have lost NONE of my previous gains. Today, I was able to pick up the bells and hit an 8 minute snatch set with the 28s with relative ease. After my brief hiatus, I am once again excited to workout and am looking forward to the my time in the basement.

Warm Up
Jerk(2x24kg) 7 minutes @ 8 rpm
Snatch(28kg) 8 minutes @ L14/14/14/14 ----> R14/14/14/14
OAJ(40kg) L8/R7
Swing(40kg) 30/30 x 1

Snatches felt strong. Backswing remained good for the majority of the set. Very little hand/grip issues today. My knee seemed to tolerate jerks without a problem today. Will have to see how it feels tomorrow.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Nice work Matt. I cannot wait until I can use a 40kg for some regular training lol.

MKSchinabeck said...

Alex,
Keep up the work. I have been watching your progress on Imes site. You continue to improve. The weight increases will come with time and technique.

matt