Sunday, February 14, 2010

Feeling Better & 32kg Snatches

Finally feeling better after surviving a killer GI virus. Wiped out the whole house.
Today, for the first time, I felt like hitting the bells. Coach wanted me to try a 32kg snatch set:

Warm Up
Snatch(32kg) 6 minutes @ L12/12/12 ----> R12/12/12
OAJ(32kg) 4 minutes @ L8/8 ---> R8/8
Swing(40kg) 30/30 x 1
Swing(32kg) 45/45 x 1

This was my first attempt at a longish 32kg snatch set. I have played around with the 32kg occasionally, but I never did more than a few reps. I was pleasantly surprised how well the set went. I think this speaks to the design of the WKC rank system. Jumping from the 24kg to the 32kg bells is a large jump, but by making the CMS rank with the 28kg competitors will be able to more easily transition to the 32kg weight. I noticed two main differences with the 32kg: firstly, the pendulum effect on the backswing seemed much more noticeable, and secondly, I was forced to really focus on using my legs during the ascent of the bell.

My knee is also feeling much improved. Will plan one more week without jerks. I am hoping that the pain will not return when I start to jerk again.

3 comments:

Michael Sherman said...

Nice job on the 32 snatch set Matt! Sometimes I'll even do 2 min sets with the 36 Kg. the 32s and 36s really make the 28s feel light!

MKSchinabeck said...

Thanks Mike. The set felt strong. Hey, any plans for another kettlebell meet in Toledo in May? Please let me know when you set a date so I can change my work schedule if needed.

Michael Sherman said...

Todd Baden hasn't set a date yet but I'll let you know as soon as it is set. Keep up the good work! TTYL