Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Change in Plans

After my light RoP day, once again the left trap/neck flared up.  I am convinced that the pressing is causing this pain.  I am also convinced that doing heavy C&P ladders with the 32kg is my problem.  Although I was making good progress, I don't think my shoulders were prepared for the assault.  Today, I had a very interesting telephone conversation with Fireman Tom.  He is a believer in higher rep/lower weight pressing in order to prepare the muscles of the shoulders and to prepare the CNS (ie. grease the groove).  Like me, he has experienced people moving too quickly with their pressing ladders only to suffer injury.  The technique suffers when one is attempting to push too much weight and this leads to problems, especially in those whose shoulders are not properly prepared for such volume with heavy weight.  Tom feels that you should not progress to a heavier weight until you can military press your current weight for 3 sets of 15 reps with good technique.  

He also feels that long sets of snatches with 1 hand change are more beneficial than heavier, shorter, timed intervals (ie. 24kg 10L/10R x 10 sets).  His recommendation is once again to drop down to lighter weights (16kg) and slowly work your way up to 100L/100R snatches with 1 hand change prior to moving up in weight.  This will once again allow your shoulders to be strengthened and your CNS to be grooved prior to heading to the higher shoulder stress associated with heavier weights.

I think I am going to give this approach a try.  I will try to come up with some kind of program over the next few days.

Todays Workout:

16kg snatches 40L/40R x 3 sets
24kg 2 Arm Swings 20 reps on 1 minute x 5 sets.

The snatches were a challenge especially on the grip.  However, I definitely could feel the burn/pump in my shoulders letting me know I have some work to do.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to here about your trap. Do jerks bother it?

If not, with all the snatches with one switch and jerks I see GS in your future:)

See you Sunday!

I hope you get better

Todd

Renee Yorkievitz, RKC said...

Sounds like great advice! I like the idea of working toward 100R/100L snatches with 1 hand switch. Might have to incorprate into my workout.

Renee