Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Presses and a Change in Plans

Bit sore today.  Not sure if from heavier snatches yesterday or from the jerks.  Decided to do some pressing as I still attempt to figure out my next plan of action.

24kg TGU 5 minutes
16kg MP 15L/15R x 3 sets
Bodyweight Pullups 5 reps x 3 sets
24kg MP 5L/5R x 3 sets with 5 second overhead hold with each rep
Box Pistols done on steps 5L/5R x 3 sets

Z Neural Warm Up 1

After working low rep, heavier weight exercises for the past 18 months, and making excellent progress with my SSST (220 reps with 24kg), VO2 Max protocol (80 sets of 15:15 with 16kg), and C&P Ladders (32kg 4(1,2,3,4,5) 1(1,2,3,4)), I feel like I have hit a plateau in my training.  I tweaked my shoulder attempting to C&P the 32kg probably because I am pushing too much weight too soon for my age and shoulder conditioning.  What are my next goals?  Is it really safe for me to continue to go up in weight?  Am I supposed to start snatching the 32kg for reps, press the bulldog or beast, and do the VO2 max with the 24kg?  These goals all sound like a giant recipe for injury.  Given this realization, I have become more interested in GS training.  I have had several conversations with Tom Corrigan (Fireman Tom) and have decided to focus the next several months on GS training (ie. long sets of snatches as well as the jerk).   I will be dropping my weight down to the 16kg as I start to work longer sets and attempt to master the technique.  I figure I have very little to loose at this point.....try something new or continue down my current path which is destined for another injury.  Stay tuned...............

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet!

You should check this out. Nate let me borrow his copy and it is awesome.

http://www.rmaxinternational.com/KBF/

Jordan Vezina said...

I look forward to seeing your progress Matt. I have the DVD Todd recommended as well, and it would be an excellent resource if you go down this path. Also check out Jared Savik's book on GS at http://www.fitnessyoucanuse.com

MKSchinabeck said...

Thanks guys. You will see my progress on the blog. I look forward to the new challenge and new goals.