Sunday, April 12, 2009

Jerk Day/Sandbag Jumpsquats

On call this weekend.  Parents in town for the holiday.  Managed to squeeze in a short workout this afternoon.

Warm Up
MP(16kg) 10 - tried to focus on grooving my jerk ascent and descent without rotating my shoulders
Jerk(20kg) 10
Jerk(24kg) 10
Jerk(28kg) 6 rpm x 6 minutes
Jerk(28kg) 6 rpm x 4 minutes
Swing(40kg) 30/30 x 1

I have been trying to think of ways to incorporate the jump squat into my training since I do not have a barbell/plates in my home gym.  Jump squats are not safe to perform using kettlebells.  My father suggested using a sandbag.  So.....this weekend I used this article from Ross Training to make a 100lb sandbag.  I bought two 50lb bags of sand from Lowes for $7, a roll of Duck tape for $3.50, and 12 contractor garbage bags (3 Mil) for $12.  I filled four bags with 25lbs of sand and placed them inside an old duffle bag laying around the house.  Total cost $22.50.  Filmed some video of a set of jump squats.  The hardest part is clean and jerking the bag into the correct position.  Did this yesterday and my quads are just beginning to get sore.


No comments: