Sunday, April 26, 2009

Snatches/OAJ (Video) Delayed Entry From 4/25/09

Was on call this weekend with several other commitments.  I was able to squeeze in a workout on Saturday and took some video of my OAJ as requested, but didn't have time to post things until tonight.  Snatches went pretty well.  Increased my rate to 16 rpm and dropped down to 6 minutes.  It is amazing what an extra two reps per minute does to one's heartrate!!

Warm Up
Snatch(16kg) 10/10
Snatch(20kg) 10/10
Snatch(24kg) 10/10
Snatch(28kg) 16 rpm x 6 minutes - 1 hand switch
OAJ(40kg) 10 Right/8 Left
OAJ(32kg) 10/10





After watching this clip in slow motion, I think I can see what is happening.  I don't think my grip is the problem, I think my grip looks out of position overhead because of the external rotation of my forearm/wrist/hand.  In the rack, in this clip, I feel like my hand is deep into the handle and that the bell is resting on the hypothenar muscles of the hand as it should be.  If you watch the ascent, by eye level, my hand/wrist/forearm are already externally rotating and the trajectory of the bell is heading laterally.  This forces me to bring the bell back medially after I lockout in order to support the weight with my skeletal system.  I think this is what is causing the "wobble" in my lockout.

The real question is how do I break this habit?  I was thinking of adding double 20kg push presses to my workouts in order to start grooving the correct path of the bells on ascent.  Any other suggestions?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nice. Do you have doubles of all Comp bells? If so Nice!