Thursday, April 30, 2009

Good Jerk Day

Really focused on getting my hand deep into the bell today after receiving an email from Patrick Baeder.  He sent me the following image in response to my post concerning ulnar nerve compression.  He said my handle position was likely following the red line, while focusing on getting the hand deep into the handle would allow the handle to follow the blue line and therefore avoid the ulnar nerve compression.  Practiced with 20kg OAJ first, then double 20kg jerks.  With my hand deep in the handle, not only did I avoid 5th finger numbness, but it seemed like the bell was locked in place.  The bell was no longer rolling around in the overhead position.  I felt very stable, like the bell was one contiguous unit with my arm.  I noticed almost no rotation of my shoulder on the ascent.  Then I moved up to the 24kg bells and had a similar experience.  My lockouts felt very crisp.  I also focused on contracting my triceps during the lockout which was a helpful cue.  Tonight my triceps are already getting sore. 

Warm Up
OAJ(20kg) 15/15
Jerk(20kg) 15
Jerk(24kg) 8 rpm x 5 minutes
Jerk(24kg) 8 rpm x 4 minutes
Swing(32kg) 20/20 x 2 sets
Renegade Row(24kg) 10/10 x 2 sets

I plan to continue to work with the 24s for a while with this new technique and hopefully can transition back to the 28s in the near future.  I will try to shoot some video soon.



No comments: