Friday, May 15, 2009

Focus on the Lockout

Slowed my rate down today and tried to focus on really sticking my lockouts.  Watched several video clips of European athletes and noticed they were all using a more pronounced second dip with a noticeable change in pelvic tilt from anterior (in the rack)  to posterior (in the bottom of the second dip).  I decided to play around with this today and felt like it made a difference in my lockout.  
I think I have been struggling with the timing of my lockout and second dip:  if your elbows lockout too early the weight comes crashing down on your hands and extended elbows which hurts, if your lockout is too late you end up having to press out the weight as you straighten from the second dip.  However, if the timing is just right, and you are able to dip under the weight just as the bell has completed its upward movement and your elbows are in full extension you are left with the perfect lockout......like hitting the sweet spot on the tennis racquet or baseball bat.  I felt this "sweet spot" for the first time today.  Not on every rep, but on a vast majority.  Hopefully, more practice will engrain this timing into my CNS and I will become automatic and my jerk numbers will soar........

Warm Up
OAJ(20kg) 10/10
Jerk(20kg) 15
OAJ(24kg) 6 rpm x 1 minute each hand
Jerk(24kg) 6 rpm x 3 minutes
OAJ(28kg) 6 rpm x 1 minute each hand
Jerk(28kg) 6 rpm x 5 minutes
Jerk(28kg) 6 rpm x 3 minutes
Jerk(24kg) 8 rpm x 5 minutes
Swing(40kg) 25/25 x 1 set
Pushups with elevated feet 15 x 2 sets

1 comment:

Jon Alford said...

Have fun at the CK FMS Matt. The new DVD is going to be right up my alley. Simple but complex just like the ETK. He brings in the long cycle C&J. They go over the Viking Push Press in detail as well as front and side snatch/raise for shoulders. Double clean, double squat, deadlift. There is also a PDF file that looks like it will mirror the book when they publish it. Similar format to ETK but more detailed on the workout. 2 week blocks. 1st block double press, squat and deadlift. 2nd block long cycle c&j. Light/medium/heavy days. 30 bucks is well spent.
I've got a nagging pain dead center of my lower back at the bottom of the spine. Might need to find my way to a ck fms myself. Let me know how it goes.