Monday, May 4, 2009

World Championship Qualifications & Snatch Day

Today was my last light day, at least I thought it was.  I originally had planned to return to the 28kg for snatches and some jerk work with my next workouts, until the WKC published the new qualification requirements for the World Championships in Chicago this August.  My goal has been to earn a rank of CMS with the 28kg bells (90kg weight class 73 jerks, 70/70 snatches), but in order to compete with the 28kg bells at the Worlds, I need to be Rank 1 (24kg bells, 73 jerks, 70/70 snatches).  My performance at the Arnolds does not count as the ranking system has been changed since March.  So, the bottom line, is that I need to make Rank 1 prior to August.  This can be done by submitting video.  I am pretty sure I can come very close to the Rank 1 numbers already.  Tonight, I gave the snatches a try:

Warm Up
Snatch(16kg) 12/12
Snatch(20kg) 12/12
Snatch(24kg) 14 rpm x 9 minutes - 1 hand switch
OAJ(32kg) 6 rpm x 2 minutes each right/left hand x 2 sets

Made it to 4:30 with each hand before grip failure ensued.  Instead of gutting out the last few reps and tearing my hands or getting injured, I just switched hands.  However, I should easily be able to make the Rank 1 snatch numbers with a bit more practice.

1 comment:

Howie B said...

I too decided to stick with the 20's until I make rank numbers. Next month is the AKC Cert here in NY. Maybe I can get Rank II there.