Friday, November 20, 2009

Yesterday and Today's Workouts

My workouts yesterday and today seemed like polar opposites. Yesterday I had a short workout before a family event. No jerks were on the docket so I figured my snatches would be strong, however, that was not the way it played out......

Thursday, November 19th
Warm Up - Rib Pull/Arm Sweep/Swing/Snatch
Snatch(28kg) 16 rpm L 16/16/16/8 ----> R 16/16/16/8 (total work time 7 minutes)
Swing(40kg) 30/30 x 1
Swing(32kg) 35/35 x 1

Snatches were off right from the beginning. I think this was due to an inadequate warm up. I struggled with the pace right out of the gates and seemed to fatigue quicker than usual. Overall, it was a bit of a downer.

Today, however, things went a bit better. Although I wasn't very motivated to workout initially, like usual it turned out to be one of my better days:

Warm Up: Rib Pull/Arm Sweep/Swing/MP/OAJ/Jerk/Snatch
Jerk(2x28kg) 7 minutes @ 8 rpm
20 minute Rest
Snatch(28kg) L 14/14/14/14/14 (70) -----> R 14/14/14/14/0 (56)
OAJ(32kg) L14/R15
Swing(32kg) 20/20 x 1

This was the first time I snatched at 14 rpm that my shoulders didn't fatigue due to the pauses in the overhead position. I have been working on my overhead position lately and finally I am beginning to feel like I can rest in the overhead position with the weight over my axial skeleton. Stopped early on the right due to tender hands. However, I felt like I had at least 30 seconds left in the tank. Overall this was an encouraging snatch set. After resting for about 1 minute I completed one more minute of snatches on the right side to get my volume up to 70 reps. During this short set, I felt for the first time, the perfect timing of the leg launch on the snatch. My bell flew overhead and felt like it was falling out of the sky into my hand in the overhead position. If I can only master this timing my snatches will continue to improve.

No comments: