Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Snatches/Jerk Assistance

Felt good this morning.  I think this workout schedule is going to work better for me.

Snatch(16kg) 20 rpm x 8 minutes - 1 hand switch
Half Snatch(24kg) 12rpm x 6 minutes - switching hands each minute
OAJ(24kg) 10 rpm x 6 minutes - switching hands each minute
COC Gripper "T" 10R/10L x 3 sets

Lifted the idea of working half snatches from Patrick Baeder's blog.
I agree these are very nice.  They allow one to work high volume, heavy snatches and not beat up your hands so much.

Just received the announcement for the kettlebell competition that is going to be held at the Arnold Expo in Columbus, OH March 7-8, 2009.  Although I have never competed and have just really started working on GS, I am tempted to give this a go.  It will provide me with a goal to work towards this winter, Columbus is only 2 1/2 hours away, and it works with my weekend call schedule.  I would plan to enter the amateur biathlon so I could use the 24kg.  Pretty soon I will be in the masters classification anyways which will only require the use of the 24kg.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet... Good luck at the Arnold.

Renee Yorkievitz, RKC said...

Whoa! What a great goal! You have really changed up your training. I have to go read about these half snatches....interesting!

Unknown said...

Are the half snatches just Health snatches, were you bring them down into the rack before swinging them through? Are you doing your back swing going to the opposite leg with a twist and coming up with the elbow? Just curious.

Franz Snideman said...

Nice training. Great to see you adding in the COC gripper work. I felt that more sets of low reps worked the best for me. Lots of sets of singles or doubles with the grippers and then only the grip once it's closed and focusing on the CRUSH for 5 to 6 seconds!

Great stuff!

MKSchinabeck said...

Thanks Franz. I will give the gripper GTG a try. How many days a week are you working your grip?
Todd, half snatches are the same as health snatches. To me the main difference with GS swing/snatch is the double dip knee bend. Once the timing is figured out it feels very natural. Thanks Renee. The half snatch is a regular snatch on the way up and then you drop the bell from overhead into the rack and then between the legs. Much easier on the hands, especially when they are tender from other things.