Tuesday, January 20, 2009

10 Minute Snatch Set With 24kg - 1 Hand Switch

Feeling good today after my 10 minute jerk set yesterday.  Decided to try snatching for the full 10 minutes at 16 rpm today.  Things went pretty well, however, the last minute with both hands was a bit dicey with the grip.  My hands survived with only 1 blood blister underneath a callous on my left hand.  This has now improved my personal best with 24kg snatches to 80L/80R.  It is hard to believe that I was struggling to reach 40/40 prior to my RKC snatch test.  Now I could pass the old test with 1 hand! (74 reps).

Snatch(16kg) 10/10
Snatch(20kg) 10/10
Snatch(24kg) 16 rpm x 10 minutes - 1 hand switch
OAJ(32kg) 12/12
OAJ(32kg) 10/10

I shot some video of the snatch set, but my camera shut off around the 9 minute mark.  It is too bad since I was hoping to see my technique as I really started to suffer.  However, I can see things as they deteriorated on the left side.




Overall, I think my snatch technique is pretty good.  My descent is improving and I am catching the bell in my fingers on the vast majority of reps.  I still need to work on hooking my thumb over my index finger which will probably help save my grip a bit more.  I also think I could work on keeping the bell closer to my body on both the ascent and descent.  As I fatigue, I stop following the bell back with my eyes which robs me of hip snap on the ascent.

I also shot some video of my 32kg OAJ on both the right and left sides:



Since my last jerk video, I am clearly launching my elbows off of my pelvis on every rep.  This has made a huge improvement in my overall jerking ability.

Now it is time to start working snatches at 18 rpm and jerks at 8 rpm with the 24kg.

1 comment:

Jordan Vezina said...

Great work Matt, you've really come a long way.