Saturday, January 10, 2009

Working the Jerks

Rough day today...was on call.  Worked for 11 hours and as usual didn't eat very well.  Got stuck in my driveway when I came home and had to dig my way out.  Despite all of that, I still figured working out would clear my mind and make me feel better.  Unfortunately I just didn't have much energy today and I cut my planned 8 minute jerk set to 5 minutes.  Did I mention that my f*$%#@* beeper was going off non stop!

Jerk(16kg) 10 reps
Jerk(20kg) 10 reps
Jerk(24kg) 6 rpm for 5 minutes
Jerk(24kg) 8 rpm for 3 minutes
Swing(32kg) 30R/30L

Tried to keep my elbow on my hips during the first bump today.  I was much more successful than in the past.  I was amazed how the bells flew overhead when I was able to keep my elbows in the right position.  Before, I focused on using my legs to generate the power of the first dip.  Today, my first dip was shallower, but seemed much more powerful as I was able to launch my elbows off my pelvis.  I also focused on keeping my arms closer to my head with my hands medially rotated 45 degrees in the lockout position.  I found that I was no longer fighting the bells in the overhead position and it did make a significant difference during the descent of the bells.  I also tried to rotate my hands laterally in the rack, like VF in the video in my last post.  I will have to play with this some more, but I found that my hands and wrists really fatigued quickly with this technique as it becomes very difficult for me to overlap the handles of the bells in this position.

No comments: