Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Jerks with the 24kg with Video

Although I had done some shorter sets with the 24s while I was completing my 20kg progressions, today was my first day of truly focused 24kg jerk work.  I have now been training GS for 2 months and have worked my progressions for both jerk and snatch with the 16kg and 20kg working my way up to 10 minutes of jerks at 10 rpm and 10 minutes of snatches at 20 rpm with 1 hand switch before going up to the next weight.  My last video clip was roughly 1 month ago.  So, today I took some new video of my jerks to see how things compare.  I had originally planned to do 6 minutes at 6 rpm, but I was feeling good and added an extra minute.  My workout today went as follows:

Jerk(16kg) 20 reps
Jerk(24kg) 6 rpm x 7 minutes
Jerk(24kg) 8 rpm x 3 minutes
Swing(32kg) 20/20 x 3 sets
Bodyweight Pullups 5 reps x 3 sets




This first clip (above) is my 7 minute set at 6 rpm





The second clip is my 3 minute set at 8 rpm from a side view.
After reviewing the video, I think I have made decent progress.  My rack is better.  I am more relaxed.  My breathing is better with an exhale through the mouth on the first dip, an inhalation through the nose as the bells go upward, and an exhale at the top followed by a large exhale as the bells fall back to the rack.  Sometimes my elbows are still coming off my pelvis during the first dip and I still need to work on getting my hands in the 45 degree angle in the overhead position.  Overall, I still think I could be more explosive.  Hopefully, continuing to work the 32kg OAJ will help improve this.

No comments: