Monday, April 12, 2010

Focusing on Leg Extension with the Jerk

Warm Up
Jerk(2x28kg) 5 minutes @ 8 rpm
Jerk(2x28kg) 3 minutes @ 8 rpm
10 minutes rest
Snatch(28kg) 6 minutes @ L16/16/16 ---> R16/16/16
Swing(40kg) 30/30 x 1
Narrow Stance Squat 20 x 2

Once again tried to focus on my leg extension with the jerks. My coach has mentioned many times for me to use my legs more on my jerks. This makes sense to me as my legs are a strength of mine. Initially, I was focusing on keeping my elbows connected to my iliac spine so I could launch the bells off my pelvis. In hindsite, I don't think this is a "good" way to think about using your legs in the jerk. When I focus on my elbows and pelvis, I tend to hyperextend my back and neck on the ascent of the jerk which often leads to a sore back/neck. Over the last couple of workouts, I have been focusing on really pushing the balls of my feet into the floor as I explode out of the first dip into full knee extension and then using a quick second dip to get under the weight. Not only are the bells flying overhead with what seems like very little effort, but my fixation seems to have dramatically improved. The trajectory of the bells in ascent is also better ..... straight up instead of slightly laterally. I also have eliminated the shoulder rotation which causes the overhead wobble. The difference feels very noticeable to me, but I will have to shoot some video to see if it is really noticeable visually.

Snatches today felt good. My right hand is becoming very consistent getting into the finger lock and my elusive 4th callous is building. On the left, I still have work to do. My left pinky still takes the most damage when I snatch. I noticed today that instead of keeping my hand in the angle of the handle, my left hand seems to slide down to mid handle on the snatch descent which then causes my pinky to get jammed into the far angle of the handle which I think ultimately leads to the hand trauma that I have been suffering lately. I will try to work on this.

1 comment:

C Duff said...

Nice points on the jerk Matt..
It makes sense, I am sure I have felt this before just never realized what the hell was happening..LOL!!