Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A New Hand Issue

Over the past several days I have developed a very tender area on the medial aspect of the distal phalanges of my left index finger. This has occasionally happened before and resolved, but after yesterday's snatch session I have gotten to the point where I have difficulty picking up a heavy bell without pain. I have also developed some numbness at the tip of my left index finger. I think I have irritated one of the digital nerves likely from applying the finger lock on my snatches. I can't explain why this is becoming a problem now vs earlier in my GS career, unless I am just getting better at applying the finger lock. Anyways, I had to cut my workout short today as I couldn't snatch or swing the 40kg bell without significant discomfort. I am hoping that 48hrs off and some NSAIDs will help the situation.

Warm Up
Jerk(28kg x 2) 5 min @ 9 rpm
Skipped Snatch
OAJ(40kg) 8/8
OAJ(40kg) 6/6
Swing(32kg) 35/35

3 comments:

Alexander said...

Hi!
A thing I picked up on gripboard is to sleep with a glove (increases blood circulation). It has helped me with some hand/nerve issues.

Jakeheke said...

Put your another thumb to flexor retinaculum and press that to tip of finger. It stretch that ligament and "release" nerve pinch+helps blood circulation!

Boris T said...

Ouch sorry to hear about another hand issue.